[tabs style="default"] [tab title="Summary"]
Do you watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade? Have you ever wondered about its origins? Ever question why they use such big balloons? Who on earth thought that up, anyway? Wonder no longer, this book is “The Ture Story of the Puppeteer of Macy’s Parade.”
[/tab] [tab title="Review"]
Having grown up with the Macy’s Parade as the backdrop to practically every Thanksgiving, I was a bit hesitant to read this book. Such good memories and the book could go either way. I needn’t have worried. The book is a delightful read that paints the backdrop to the American Thanksgiving tradition. So interesting was it, even my husband hovered in the background as I read the story aloud to my children, hoping to catch little snippits about the mastermind behind the great Macy’s Thanksgiving parade. When we were through, we had enough questions answered to peak our curiosity and find out even more about the Tony Sarg, the man behind the puppets. Aside from the story, the illustrations are a montage of “mixed media” drawings that only added to the story. If you are a fan of Macy’s Thanksgiving parade, read this book. Homeschoolers, especially, what are you waiting for?
[/tab] [tab title="Details"][unordered_list style="green-dot"]
- Author: Melissa Sweet
- Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children, First Edition (November 1,2011)
- Reading Age: Ages 4 and up
- Hardcover 40 pages
[/unordered_list] [/tab] [/tabs]
What You Need to Know
- Role Models/Authority Figures – Tony Sarg
- Violence – None.
- Sexual Content – None.
- Language – None.
- Consumerism – Could be considered an advertisement for the parade, itself.
- Drinking/Smoking/Drugs – None
- Religion – None
- Awards – 2012 NCTE Orbis Picture Award, Caldecott Honor,2012 Robert F. Sibert Medal, 2012 Golden Kite Award for picture book illustration